In the blogging world you are bound to find some drama, bickering between bloggers, and plain out jealousy roaring its ugly head. It seems even more prominent in niches with mostly women bloggers. None of this can actually help your blog. I know I don't want to get in the middle of two bloggers arguing and will usually stop following that blog because that jealousy almost always ends up taking over the blog.
Let's face the facts though. We live in a sinful world and the bickering, drama, and jealousy is not going to go away. It is a fact of life. People are always going to want what others have, weather it be fame and popularity, wealth, or something else.
Thank goodness the Bible teaches us how to deal with jealousy and those same principals can be applied to blogging.
First what does the Bible say about jealousy?
- "Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another." Galatians 5:26
- "For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?" 1 Corinthians 3:3
- "Charity suffereth long, [and] is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up," 1 Corinthains 13:4
- "[Let your] conversation [be] without covetousness; [and be] content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5
Basically the Bible tells us that jealousy is a sin. We are not suppose to envy others but be content in the things we have - in what the Lord has given us. If we are too busy focusing our energy on envy or jealousy of other person then we are too busy to focus on God.
So how does this apply to blogging?
- If we are constantly checking out other blogs to see how many comments they get, what kind of traffic they have, or what opportunities they are getting, we are wasting valuable time we could be working on bettering our blog. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter what other people are doing, it only matters what you doing. If you are neglecting your blog because you are stalking other blogs, then your blog will suffer the consequences.
- Be content with your blog. Now I don't mean don't strive for more comments, an increase in traffic and subscribers, or to better your blog. Just do your best. Don't get upset if you are not getting as many comments as your favorite blog. Be thankful for the readers and traffic you do have.
- Just remember we live in a sinful world and no one is perfect. Sure their blog may look like perfection, but I can guarantee you it is not. I'm not perfect, when I first started blogging, I suffered from blog envy and jealousy - a mean case of it.
- Focus on the important thing - your blog.
Of course there a lots of way to deals with blog jealousy. The age old saying "Do unto others as you would like done unto you" is very applicable in this situation. If you start fights with other bloggers, then bloggers will start fights with you.
Prayer is a solution too. Pray that the Lord will open your eyes and not let the envy and jealous feelings take over.
Also remember that your blog is a reflection of you. Do you want to be known as the blogger who is always looking for fight or to start some drama?
How do your overcome blog jealousy? I would love to hear your thoughts.